Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My favorite spring sentiment

Putting In The Seed

Robert Frost



You come to fetch me from my work to-night
When supper's on the table, and we'll see
If I can leave off burying the white
Soft petals fallen from the apple tree.
(Soft petals, yes, but not so barren quite,
Mingled with these, smooth bean and wrinkled pea;)
And go along with you ere you lose sight
Of what you came for and become like me,
Slave to a springtime passion for the earth.
How Love burns through the Putting in the Seed
On through the watching for that early birth
When, just as the soil tarnishes with weed,
The sturdy seedling with arched body comes
Shouldering its way and shedding the earth crumbs.

6 comments:

BuBe said...

If soemone has a really nice arching sprout throwing off earth's crumbs, please add to this post. I tried but for some reason the blog is not letting me add pictures today.

Tobee 'n DeeDee said...

Awezome Poem BuBe, mye sentiments exactly.

Tinyc Tim said...

The mystery editor looks suspiciously like Max (given the file name on the seedling). Nice job.

Tinyc Tim said...

I take it back. I thought I saw a "snap" in the file name. Whoever did it did it well.

Some things are best left mysteries.

Chip Bradley said...

Yes. The mysterious seed grower did a nice job. I tried to find a seed with soil "crumbs" falling off it, but could not find a good one. It wasn't me.

Tobee 'n DeeDee said...

BuBe must have found her picture, because it's not mine either.