Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gold Stah foah Bube or Dee Dee?


Hi Bube,

The "gold Star" you see above has officially been awarded to TcT. Congratulations!

But the following will explain why I am still making this NEW puzzler (created by me) open to you and Dee Dee.

Dee Dee, I am going to email you right after I post this -- to answer the questions you asked about it. This post itself should help to explain my puzzler also.

These gold star awards have been fun for me to try to get. I seem to be taking
longer to come up with the right solutions but Dee Dee and Tiny-c have made me see it might still be worth looking at them. In the meantime, I came up with one of MY OWN puzzlers and passed the following on to TcT and Dee Dee. If you are interested in giving my made up puzzler a try, it might be fun for you and Dee Dee (since Dee Dee is still working on this). I do have to tell you though that TcT HAS actually solved my puzzler AND he will be getting a painting of a "gold" star by me (shown above). I still encourage both you and Dee Dee to see if you can get the answer to the following question, even though TcT got it first. I promise both of you that I will award either you or Dee Dee with something if one of you gets THE answer:

Here is the question. It is based on a name I sometimes am called by Lee. I also call myself this name from time to time.

ChasB

ChasB is short for Chas Bradley with a bee (B) in it for both Bradley and bees -- relating to sunflower visitors -- since I am into making [grade B] movies about sunflowers and bees. In an email the other day, I signed off with "Ch1s2" just to be funny -- since we have been thinking about numbers and letters so much lately. The "a" was changed to a "1" and the "B" was changed to a "2".

I then decided to ask the following question -- which turned out to be my
puzzler:

How may ways are there to write the name 'ChasB' replacing only the 'a' and the
'B' with numbers 0 through 9 so that the outcomes for each new name look entirely different?

I also said the following thing (to Dee Dee and Tiny-c) which I also want to
say to you here -- since I am still opening this up to you and Dee Dee to
solve:

I quote: "I have a revised answer for the 200 possibilities. The first person
to guess what I am thinking that revised answer should be will get a painted gouache star from me. If MY answer (which I think may be right) turns out NOT to be the real answer, then you can both send me a silly star that you draw yourself. Send ANYTHING you like. I can take it!

ChasB"

Good luck to both of you if you wish to try this. Someone will still be awarded even though Tiny-c gets the grand daddy hand-painted gold star from me today. 200 was not right NOR was what I was thinking it was!

3 comments:

Tinyc Tim said...

Dear Max,
I too love my gouache star. It really is very beautiful. It looks like a young artist at work. Very colorful, an excellent choice of points, a purple dot for each tip and for each exterior angle,
a pentagon, triangles and of course the trademark starry background. I love my gouache star. Thanks. It's already my favorite Christmas gift.
Tct

Chip Bradley said...

This is a VERY minor (but syntactically important) point about what I have said about who gets what award. If you read my text above carefully, it would appear THE WINNER needed to send me a silly award, since I was incorrect about my assumption for the best answer other than 200. The winner was to get a painting only if he or she guessed WHAT I thought that better answer would be. But since MY "better" answer was in fact off by a value of 10 then I really should get a silly "you-had-it-wrong" award.

But

TcT nailed this one with THE correct answer (other than what I had been thinking) and I DID enjoy giving him his painting -- so I did this. Whew! I think I have gone overboard wid dis explunashun!

Tobee 'n DeeDee said...

I guess I am totally out of the running here, since I have been told BOTH answers. But that is a very fine looking star!