Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dishunary Analisis

Max -

Your putting things in a spreadsheet intrigued me. I've built a file that has all the words (plus lines that are in the dictionary that credit the authors) and sorted it. It shows a few problems with the data: there are some duplicates and some entries that reveal words that have two different definitions. I'm trying to figure out how to sort the list in "Toby order" as opposed to "English order." This no doubt will reveal other similar problems.

Here's the list:

http://primepuzzle.com/blog/all.dic.lf

I'll try to fix the dictionaries to eliminate these problems. This will cause translations between Toby Speak and English and back again or between English and Toby Speak and back again always to reproduce the original.

- Tct

2 comments:

Tinyc Tim said...

BTW, the link in this post will always be live and the following, similar, link

http://primepuzzle.com/blog/all.dic.fl

which shows all the words in Toby Speak order might be useful too.

Tinyc Tim said...

"And how," you might ask, "did you build the word list in Toby Speak order from the word list in English order?"

I wrote a little program in BASIC, ran it, and then used the Boxer editor on the output file to sort it.

10 ' ALL.BAS - lrb - 10/3/2008
20 OPEN "I",1,"ALL.DIC"
30 OPEN "O",2,"ALL.CID"
40 ON ERROR GOTO 200
50 LINE INPUT #1,DICLINE$
60 I=INSTR(DICLINE$,"->")
70 V1$=MID$(DICLINE$,1,I-1)
80 V2$=MID$(DICLINE$,I+2)
90 PRINT #2,V2$+"->"+V1$
100 GOTO 50
200 SYSTEM